Egypt is the place with one of the 7 wonders of the world. I tell you, the Great Pyramids are a wonder. Try as you might, you won’t comprehend how they were constructed, and that was over 5,000 years ago!
I loved my stay (but the demonstrations at Tahrir square which made me not to visit the Egyptian Museum, spoilt my plan..)
Moving on swiftly!
Things to know before you travel to Cairo
1. Know where you are going–and get an English speaking cab guy otherwise you will get so lost.
2. You will get many offers for tour guides– most of this people are not real guides,
do your research first and make sure they know English and not Egytinglish…which is what we can call Arabic with some seasoning of English.
3. The Airport is huge –Know your gate well- you need a cab from one gate to another.
4. Crazy traffic jams (never seen such before in my life- Kenya traffic ni shadow)- Plan your time three hours ahead always.
5. Once in the hotel room ask someone write all your destinations in Arabic ( If not, Enroll for Arabic classes 🙂
6. Use METERED taxis only.If you use the rest, you might be over charged.
7. Tahir square is in the heart of Cairo- beware of any demonstrations.
8. Friday is the prayer day — No work. Sunday is the Monday.
9. Visit the great pyramids and the Sphinx— it’s BREATHTAKING- makes sure your camera is well charged or you have spare battery. I LOVED ALL THE TOMBS AND THE HISTORY – IT IS LOVELY
11. Visit the church where the HOLY FAMILY – Yes, Mary mother of Jesus, Joseph and Jesus stayed when they were in Egypt and where they prayed.